Regardless of whether you happen to be a busy foreman working on a massive commercial project or a civil engineer attempting to bolster your on-site proficiencies, it’s in your best interests to ensure that you have an adequate team of piling and underpinning experts at your disposal at all times.
However, it’s important to note that this particular industry is fully saturated and very difficult to sift through, especially when taking into account the fact that there are hundreds upon hundreds of self-proclaimed construction experts operating throughout the UK.
Fortunately for you, we’ve compiled a comprehensive checklist to help ensure that you’re hiring the very best piling contractors for your next project. Feel free to use this brief article as a helpful guide during your research efforts.
Step One: Realise that Reputation Means Everything
To avoid the detriments and drawbacks associated with hiring novice contractors or amateurish builders, you’ll want to ensure that your firm of choice prides itself on nurturing long-term relationships throughout the United Kingdom. With this notion in mind, be on the lookout for the following aspects and traits from the onset:
- At least 25 years’ experience within the industry
- British Drilling Association accredited
- Independent firm (not part of a multinational conglomerate)
- Easily accessible head office with a wide coverage network
- Comprehensive 12-year insurance-backed warranty on all work
- In-house fleet of piling rigs
- Privately owned and operated plant and machinery
Step Two: Ensure a Versatile and Adaptable Suite of Services
Next, you’ll want to turn your attention towards in-house aptitudes and proficiencies to make sure that your partner of choice can serve as an inclusive one-stop shop for all of your nuanced foundational needs. In this regard, refer to the conceptual suite of services shown below as a blueprint of sorts:
- Commercial and residential expertise
- Top-to-bottom piling and underpinning services
- Intricate screw piling work
- Reinforced ground beams and slab work
- Pile testing, maintained load testing, and tension assessments
Step Three: Separate the Contenders from the Pretenders
Last but certainly not least, you’ll have to take the time to assess the oft-obscured aspects of hiring a piling and underpinning firm by paying close attention to the following characteristics:
- Wide-ranging experience with a multitude of sectors including residential households, insurance companies, architectural firms, structural and consulting engineers, building surveyors, and housing trusts, just to name a few.
- Full service on all projects undertaken, ranging from the architectural and design phase to the measurements, calculations, and actual build.
- Fee-free, no-obligation consultations replete with a top-to-bottom onsite inspection and personalised quote.
- Full portfolio of past works available online with an inclusive job gallery depicting completed projects and various case studies.
With this helpful guide at your disposal, you’re more than prepared to make a confident hire for your next project!